Monday, January 17, 2011

Filing requirement for CA Part-year and Non-residents

Q.  Last year we rented out our house and we left California. Will we still be required to file a California return even though we are no longer residents? JR, Nevada

A.  You didn't say when you left California, but most likely you will be filing a Part-year Resident return. The filing requirement for a CA part-year resident or a non-resident depends on the gross receipts. Since I would need to know your marital status, ages, and if you had any dependents, I can't give you a definitive answer. Use the links on the left to reach the Franchise Tax Board's on-line site.

Tax Tip:  California taxes on world-wide income. Once your taxable income together with the resulting tax is determined, the percentage of California source income to total income is used to calculate any tax due.

No comments:

Post a Comment