Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How to pay?

Q.  I just received my tax return and find I owe about $2,000 more than expected. I understand I can apply for an installment plan, but that takes time and the IRS now charges a fee. Is there an alternative? HS, Kentucky

A.  What I tell my clients when confronted with a small amount due such as yours, to pay what you can with the 1040-V voucher. In approximately 4 - 6 weeks, you will receive a bill from the IRS with added interest. Often by then, you will have the additional funds, and will only be out the interest charged, currently 4%. Although this advice would most likely be frowned upon by the IRS, I can't think of a simpler or cheaper way to solve your problem. In theory, this could be done each time a bill appears. To my knowledge, as long as you keep paying, the IRS won't try to levy your wages or property. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment